Redwall's Legacy

Please login or register.

Users Online

33 Guests, 1 User
Pask
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 15, 2017, 03:39:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Most Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 26147
  • Total Topics: 1357
  • Online Today: 44
  • Online Ever: 55
  • (October 30, 2012, 11:32:44 AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 33
Total: 34

Site Updates

~ Make sure your email address and other information is up to date, so you don't miss any important information or emails that we send out pertaining to the forum.

~ Find our 'chatroom' in the main navigation bar and chit-chat with others!

~ Look through our 'gallery' in the main navigation bar and submit your artwork to be displayed!

~ If you need help to get acquainted (or re-acquainted) to the site please visit the following link:
 http://www.redwallslegacy.com/forum/index.php?topic=2495.0

~ 'Like' us on Facebook
- you don't need to have a facebook account to view the page. And if you don't, add it to your 'favorites'
https://www.facebook.com/Redwalls-Legacy-Online-160011034047022/

Author Topic: The Inn Far Down the Road  (Read 3771 times)

Offline Fernleaf

• Brother/Sister
  • Kudos Received: 32
    • View Profile
Re: The Inn Far Down the Road
« Reply #80 on: June 23, 2017, 11:47:26 PM »
The spiked mace was now part of Cockleburr. The evil ferret shouldn't have said that, as a red glare appeared in the hedgehog's eyes that hadn't been there in a long time. He didn't bother to answer. He let his mace speak for him as he whirled and intentionally missed his foe's nose by a fraction of an inch.

He beckoned, parrying the sword and waited for him to approach. He did a quick uppercut with the mace, knocking his foe up to the ceiling. He stepped back, waiting for him to fall back down.

Offline stargazette

• Elder
  • Kudos Received: 8
  • Hi!~ I am a girl, you can call me star and…look!
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 25, 2017, 12:37:39 AM »
Arries the squirrel was a whirlwind of fur, teeth, claw, and other weapons. She slaughtered the hordebeasts 5 at a time, trying to go for the stronger ones to help lose morale. Sure enough, it worked. Seeing their leader overcome, and the strongest among them being taken, and so many being defeated, made them weaken, even run away. Arries grinned when she saw this. Cockleburr and Grundlink would be able to take care of themselves.

Arries the wildcat groaned and awoke. As soon as she opened her eyes, she saw how much trouble she was in. They needed to retreat and regroup, fast! Ignoring her injuries, she leaped up and started running for the inn.
"Run!! Retreat! NOW!!!" she screamed. What was left of her horde soon followed, screaming and yelling. Arries the squirrel was knocked over by the vermin, but quickly recovered. She immediately ran to Grundlink and Cockleburr, whom Kradilus had left in his hurry to escape.
"Are you alright? Have you got your map?" Arries asked, worried. "I'm so sorry! I will try and get your things back, and you can go on your way. But, if you don't mind me asking, why is that map so important?" At this, several vermin heads popped out of the inn to hear the answer.

(ooc:  not to feel bad, but both Arries were trained by the best fighters, sooo, yeah.)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 10:02:35 PM by Tinarandel »
fight for family, friends,peace, and deeper 'n ever pie ;)
check out my rps, plz?¡ :)
most of my charas are in the topic: Arries.

Offline Tinarandel

• Global Moderator
  • Warrior Member
  • Kudos Received: 38
  • Grey Jedi
    • View Profile
    • Destiny Beckons
« Reply #82 on: June 30, 2017, 10:33:00 PM »
The mace came swooping upwards towards Kradilus’ nose. On instinct, his eyes squeezed shut in fear. Clang! There came the parry to his sword. The hard impact rang through the air and sent painful vibrations through Kradilus’ paw. Whoop! The mace made an uppercut under his chin, pushing him up into the air for a second.

Kradilus dropped to the ground painfully at Cockleburr’s blows. For a couple minutes, he lay there in a crumpled heap and did not move, though his two adversaries still heard the evil ferret breathing heavily. He tossed his broadsword away and placed his paws over his head in surrender and defense.

“Run! Retreat! NOW!!!”

At the cue from Arries, Kradilus promptly sprang to his feet and barreled away in the direction of the Inn, picking up his broadsword and completely ignoring his enemies.

Grundlink thrust his sword-holding tail in front of Cockleburr in restraint. “Don’ pursue him, my friend! He’s done enough fightin’, let him be now. Tail between his legs, terror in his heart, he’s scurryin’ off. Everyone’s exhausted and spent, and have sustained enough wounds t’ las’ th’ rest o’ th’ season. Come on, let’s follow back an’ find a place t’ sit down.”

The rat sheathed his sword in his belt and held Kradilus’ steel blade downwards at his side in a pacifying gesture.

“Would that it never had t’ come t’ this trouble. Can’t an inn just be an inn?”

They met Arries the squirrel at the back entrance of the building. “Yes, we’re both fine, madam. Thank ye for asking. And why is th’ map so important, ye ask? Well, take a seat, get some food, an' relax, my dear Arries. This will be a lengthy tale.”

Grundlink looked to Cockleburr and suddenly grabbed him by his shoulders, gripping him tightly. “Hey, snap out! You’re scarin’ me, buddy! Release th’ Bloodwrath an’ come back t’ th’ real world! Th’ battle’s over! Blink or somethin’, just say tha’ ye can hear me!” He turned back to Arries and company to gesture with one paw.

“See?! Here is one main reason why your wildcat leader should not invade th’ places which tha’ map represents! Here is part of th’ truth which I am about t’ tell ye! Now sit up an’ forwards in your spots, an' pay attention!”

Grundlink took a cross-legged seat on the grass. To his left, he saw Rugthort and Kullek leaning against a tree and nursing their injuries. Heavily breathing and glancing away, they cared little about noticing him. He glared a hammering and disarming stone face at both the squirrelmaid and wildcat named Arries and her vermin generals.

“Do ye know wha’ that map is? Those are th’ Eastern Islands, a group o’ settled landmasses far from here beyond th’ outer edges o’ th’ sea. Th' great Five, each ruled by a Chieftain, creatures o’ immense strength. But th’ one o’ whom I have been speaking all nigh’, th’ beast whom Cockleburr an’ I call th’ Destined One, is someone else. Th’ legends say he is known only as Tinarandel. He shall unite th’ Islands against a comin’ darkness an' cross th’ Chieftain’s weapons under his banner. Others from around th’ globe are goin’ to join as well, perhaps includin' myself an’ Cockleburr. Those Islands have existed since th’ dawn o’ time but were uninhabited for most o’ recorded history. Darkness fell upon it once; they were unprepared and unwarned. Should war an’ evil come again, they’ll drive it off their shores by sheer massive numbers an’ willpower o’ steel. 

Try as ye might t’ visit them bearin’ hostile intent’, you’ll instead face your own destructions, every single one o’ you. Eliminate one, an’ the other Four fall upon ye like predatory eagles, hawks, an’ falcons. Go ahead! Tinarandel is comin’ back to his home soon. His light drives away your darkness. His power outmatches your evil. His birth has been foretold for generations, an’ now th’ world is ready for its change. Th' legends of old are soon t’ be fulfilled. Go ahead! Your complacency is your downfall, your arrogance your fatal poison! I have seen th’ hidden secrets of the Eastern Islands, an’ more are destined to follow! Those truths are deliberately hidden because th’ world is not yet ready t’ see them. When they are revealed, th’ world as we know it is goin’ to change! I cannot tell ye enough: ye can do nothin’ t’ stop th’ fulfillment’ of the Prophecy!”
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 08:56:44 PM by Tinarandel »
"There is no Light without the Dark.
Through Passion, I gain Focus.
Through Knowledge, I gain Power.
Through Serenity, I gain Strength.
Through Victory, I gain Harmony.
There is only the Force."-Grey Jedi Code.

Offline stargazette

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 01, 2017, 12:11:09 AM »
Arries the squirrel leaned against a tree, captivated by his story. The Isands sounded so powerful, the other Arries was not worthy enough to look at the map! Neither was she! But here she was, all of them, learning of these islands, of the legendary warriors on them! Why them?
Arries the wildcat listened from a high window, away from her horde. For the sake of her horde, of her reputation, she would have to attack. But at the cost of their lives? A foolhardy thing. What could she do? The Islands were too powerful. Too mysterious. She had no hope. First she failed her family, now she failed in her revenge? She was a mistake. She was hopeless. She didn't deserve to live.
A rat snarled from a window. "Hey, frogface, why should we believe you and all your mumbo-jumbo? You're just spouting lies to try and discourage us! Our Arries won't listen to you! We'll destroy your precious islands!" His cry upset the rest of the vermin, and they started yelling too. Some even started throwing things at Grundlink.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 05:46:49 AM by Tinarandel »

Offline Fernleaf

• Brother/Sister
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 02, 2017, 12:00:24 AM »
Cockleburr wanted to pursue the ferret to the death, but at the last minute, Grundlink restrained him, and he didn't understand. Then, his friend shook him trying to get him back to normal. He sat down and took several deep breaths, as what was driving him calmed down and the red glare in his eyes died away. He felt weak and shaky. He dropped the mace and then collapsed on the floor. Bloodwrath? He didn't have Bloodwrath, or did he? He felt like he hadn't slept in days. Whatever it was really took a lot out of him. "G....Grundlink? Are you there? I'm back." He passed out.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 04:49:55 AM by Tinarandel »

Offline Tinarandel

• Global Moderator
  • Warrior Member
  • Grey Jedi
    • View Profile
    • Destiny Beckons
« Reply #85 on: July 04, 2017, 06:30:28 PM »
“Cockleburr!”

Grundlink frantically picked up the hedgehog and rolled him onto his back. He pressed two fingers to his friend’s neck, and detecting a pulse, breathed a deep sigh of relief.

“Thank goodness, he’s jus’ unconscious. Can anybeast help him? Whose mace is this?”

“T’ain’t mine!” Kradilus called from a corner, sipping a tankard of ale.

“Nor mine!” Kullek denied from the tree, massaging the back of his head painfully. Rugthort beside him only silently shook his head, closing his eyes and slumping against the tree trunk lazily.

“I guess Cockleburr can keep it then.” Grundlink returned the mace to Cockleburr’s belt. “Somebeas’ get a towel an’ some chilled rose water. Take him t’ his room after; he needs th’ rest.”

Despite that, Grundlink felt deep down in his heart, that some moment of revelation was speedily drawing nearer. Should Cockleburr be otherwise awake for it? No matter. Bloodwrath or not, Cockleburr needed his rest from the battle and the unexpected fit of rage towards Kradilus.

Two of the vermin generals, against the orders of Arries the Fierce, tended to Cockleburr. They carried the hedgehog to his bedroom, cleaned up his injuries, and placed a wet towel on his forehead. The mace was taken out of his belt and placed safely on the bedside table within reach.

“Poor guy looks terrible, eh? The rose water ought to lower his temperature. I only hope it helps.”

“Let’s leave him be. Close the door. Whatever overtook that beast, he could use the privacy to recover from it.”

Upon their return, the other generals had begun throwing things at Grundlink and insulting him. Grundlink dropped Kradilus’ steel sword and caught a thick lemon danish, biting into it and savoring the taste, and not caring in the slightest about his enemy’s reactions to his so-called “mumbo-jumbo”.

He ducked in the grass to dodge an empty hurled frying pan. “Ye should believe me because o’ this one reason…because I myself am descended from the same creatures who once brought about tha’ first darkness!” A sideways fall to avoid a series of flying throwing knives. “So long I could spend explainin’, th’ rest o’ th’ night an’ into th’ next mornin’. Suffice it t’ say, tha’ in th’ first invasion, countless lives were lost, an’ double more ruined. Imagine tha’ for a moment’! But from th’ ashes o’ despair an’ sorrow an’ grief, th’ creatures o’ th’ East endured th’ refiner’s fire, comin’ out stronger on th’ other side. You don’ think tha’ I bear the guilt, shame, remorse, an’ regret tha’ my ancestors never felt during their acts of cruelty an’ mindless chaos? I have learned from their mistakes more than you see on the surface!”

He fell to the other side, and in a few sweeping motions, his tail picked up the steel blade again and deflected a series of sharp iron arrows. Grundlink cleaned sweat from his brow in frustration and disappointment.

“How many more times can I say this? There are things happenin’ there an’ here. I have seen th’ powers o’ th’ Eastern warriors. Now imagine that occurring, ten or thousand-fold. Do you think tha’ invadin’ th’ Islands would still be worth it? I highly doubt so!”

The two who had helped Cockleburr seemed to agree with the rat, even trying to talk down the others to no success. At an icy stare from Kradilus, they fell silent and simply sat at a private table twiddling their thumbs and avoiding the ferret’s stern gaze…or even worse, the razor-sharp eyes of Arries the Fierce, whose looks alone put a chill into even the most stalwart of vermin.

Grundlink swallowed the last bite of the lemon danish and licked his fingers clean. “Delicious pastry, madam!” He complimented Arries the squirrel. “Ye must share the recipe wit’ me.”

He turned back to the generals of Arries the Wildcat. Suddenly, before all in the room, Grundlink’s eyes began to glow a blinding white light, and his voice took on a powerful and intimidating prophetic tone.

“Talk whatever ye like. Th’ signs are comin’ true. I am Grundlink o’ th’ South, an’ I have met Tinarandel, an’ know him an’ his destiny. He is here in Mossflower, but he is in th’ East also. He is th’ light tha’ comes wit’ th’ dawn of morning, an’ th’ one tha’ drives away th’ evenin’ dusk. Tinarandel bears light for he is light. He holds in his paws th’ Golden Sun in th’ daytime an’ raises th’ Blue Moon t’ th’ sky at eventide. I believe in Tinarandel an’ shall stand by him till my final breath. He is th’ Dawn-Bringer, th’ prophesied Chosen One descended from th’ skies t’ rule th’ Eastern Islands, an’ his blood after him.”

New sounds now joined him; he sounded as though the voices of the Five Chieftains had blended in, a deafening single roar like the waves of the ocean crashing upon those beyond distant shores.

“We await th’ burnin’ o’ th’ Five Lights. They have burned once before, durin’ th’ invasion o’ th’ first darkness. A new evil is seen t’ soon come. So our unity is called upon by th’ Destined One. Th’ time is comin’. Th’ world cannot wait any longer.

We are th’ Five: Faylekk, Wayne, Gillamin, Kilkrag, and Benndel. Tinarandel is destined t’ lead us. Darkness shall no longer have dominion over us. His birth has been foretold for generations long before yours. Th’ veil between our world an’ th’ Dark Forest is slowly breakin’, an’ th’ Lost Ones will soon rejoin us. While we are only Five an’ dozens more, they shall be legions beyond comprehension! At th’ vanquishing o’ th’ final shadows, th’ One shall claim his throne, an’ sit upon it forever!”

His demeanor and voice not changing, Grundlink unwrapped the map. Its outline also glowed, the Eastern runes shining until they filled the entire forest and inn.

“Familiar shadows, hills’ o memory. Lights on hills o’ rock an’ stone. Five weapons an’ one flag. Blood from foreign shores draw blades in th’ East. An’ th’ Destined One shall come from th’ Destined Land. By many names he is known: th’ Bearer o’ Ligh’, th’ Golden Sun an’ th’ Blue Moon. Above all else, th’ Dawn-Bringer is his name. In th’ midst o’ despair, th’ lost an’ th' fallen shall rise again. In th’ midst o’ night, th’ Light shall drive out th’ Shadow.

These are the Six Signs, an’ they speak the truth.”

« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 08:58:18 PM by Tinarandel »

Offline stargazette

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 05, 2017, 01:33:31 AM »
Arries the squirrel at first helped herself to some food while helping deflect other things. The vermin's voices got louder and louder. When she couldn't take it anymore, Grundlink, or rather, the Chieftains speaking through him, started. It suddenly went deathly quiet. Nothing else stirred while he was like this; not even the insects moved.
When he was done, it took a minute or two for Arries the squirrel to recover.

"Now do you believe him, you lily-livered toads?" She yelled. "You heard it from them yourselves, who are too far away to even get to in a week, connected with this beast. How strong must they be? Do you still want to fight them?"

The whole horde numbly locked themselves in the inn to discuss what to do. Nobeast wanted to face them anymore. Anything anymore. But the few who recovered the fastest locked themselves up in another room entirely. Arries the wildcat never strayed from her spot by the window, never speaking.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 02:47:12 AM by Tinarandel »

Offline Fernleaf

• Brother/Sister
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 06, 2017, 11:40:11 PM »
Cockleburr lay unconscious after his encounter with Bloodwrath. But his dreams took a new direction. In his dreams, he saw darkness hovering over the Islands and then the voices that were spoken outside entered his dreams:

We await th’ burnin’ o’ th’ Five Lights. They have burned once before, durin’ th’ invasion o’ th’ first darkness. A new evil is seen t’ soon come. So our unity is called upon by th’ Destined One. Th’ time is comin’. Th’ world cannot wait any longer.

We are th’ Five: Faylekk, Wayne, Gillamin, Kilkrag, and Benndel. Tinarandel is destined t’ lead us. Darkness shall no longer have dominion over us. His birth has been foretold for generations long before yours. Th’ veil between our world an’ th’ Dark Forest is slowly breakin’, an’ th’ Lost Ones will soon rejoin us. While we are only Five an’ dozens more, they shall be legions beyond comprehension! At th’ vanquishing o’ th’ final shadows, th’ One shall claim his throne, an’ sit upon it forever!”

And then, a verse sounded in his dreams.

The spike will strike
A blow for the truth
With the tail he shall show
the strength of his youth.

The vermin shall see
and utter a wail
For none shall stand
Against the Spiketail!

In his sleep, he reached over and grasped his mace. He awoke with a start. He got up refreshed, raised his mace and said "I name you Spiketail!"

He left the room and joined Grundlink. "Is the fool still intent on going forward?" he said.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 10:28:36 PM by Tinarandel »

Offline Tinarandel

• Global Moderator
  • Warrior Member
  • Grey Jedi
    • View Profile
    • Destiny Beckons
« Reply #88 on: August 05, 2017, 10:48:34 PM »
Through the thinning veil that covered his vision, Grundlink saw Arries and her horde lock themselves inside the Inn frantically and numbly, rushing to conceal themselves from the miracles they had just seen – or probably, from their perspective, horrors.

“Grundlink, follow them!” sounded the voice of Faylekk of Eseltharis, the squirrelmaid and only female Chieftain, as the back door started to close. “Don’t get locked out! No hesitation! Just run!”

“Aye, aye, milady Fay!” Grundlink affirmed to her. “No need t’ tell me twice!”

The rat hopped to his feet, stuffed the map inside his belt, and fueled by the vitality of the Chieftains, he dashed at top speed inside the Inn. The vermin (unintentionally) bolted the door after his reentry. They snarled and scowled furiously at him, but did nothing to engage in further facilitating violence. Instead, they joined their kindred commanders and Arries the Fierce inside the private room to discuss their next courses of action. Rugthort and Kullek carried together a dizzy and bleeding Kradilus and laid him upon a long table. Kradilus moaned, groaned, and sobbed from the pain, not saying a single word. Grundlink began a strong conflicting contention in his mind if he ought to give his aid. The other two circled the tavern, searching for healing supplies; finding a useful pack behind the main bar counter, they hurried back to their compatriot's side, beginning to clean and bandage his and each other’s pains and bruises.

The light lessened in Grundlink’s eyes, so he could see clearly again. It was sufficient enough that he could notice the sheer desperation in the faces of his former enemies; a perfect description of the utter hopelessness to save one of their own and one another. Grundlink came up beside them, however, Kullek pressed a dagger to his stomach.

“Go away, ye freak!” Kullek screamed at him from behind tear-filled eyes. “Leave us alone, an' take yer map outta this place!”

“I’m offerin’ my assistance, Kullek!” The Chieftain’s influence hadn’t departed from Grundlink, yet Kullek denied the sincerity in the rat’s words.

“We don’t need anythin’ o’ th’ sort, ye punk!” Rugthort plucked the steel shortsword of Kradilus out of Grundlink’s tail. “An’ by th’ by, that blade is his!”

“Take it back, if ye so like. I don’ need it anymore!” Grundlink slapped his tail dismissively on the floor, as if happy to be free of the burden of the accursed vermin weapon. He ventured forward to get a better look at Kradilus, but his adversaries pushed him away. Resigned, Grundlink retreated into a corner, standing and observing in silence.

All of a sudden, as if to ease the struggles in his heart, the Chieftains recited a strange rhyme in his mind.

The spike will strike
A blow for the truth.
With the tail he shall show
the strength of his youth.

The vermin shall see
and utter a wail.
For none shall stand
Against the Spiketail!

“Ye Easterners truly adore your riddles, don’t ye?” Grundlink laughed privately. “I’m not surprised in the slightes’! Who is this ‘Spiketail’, may I ask?”

In culminate reply, the door to Cockleburr’s bedroom opened.

“Is the fool still intent on going forward?” His friend asked, exiting the room.

Grundlink gaped at the hedgehog, momentarily speechless and astounded. “You’re th’ Spiketail, Cockleburr! That’s amazing!” But then both were supplanted by a crestfallen shake of his head. “No, I’m afraid. I fear something’ terrible is about t’ happen, both for Arries an’ her army an’ for th’ Eastern Islands. Or perhaps for one or th’ other. In either case, nothin’ good is goin’ t’ come o’ this.”

He pulled the translated map from his tunic belt and showed it to Cockleburr. The Eastern runes, now translated, had been magically replaced by the woodland language, clear and readable for all. 

« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 06:30:59 PM by Tinarandel »

Offline Fernleaf

• Brother/Sister
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 05, 2017, 11:41:45 PM »
Cockleburr looked intently at the runes, now translated into woodland speech. "This is bad, very bad," he said. "The fools don't know what they are getting themselves into. And what is gonna happen."

He patted his mace. "Looks like my mace Spiketail will see some action sooner than I thought. I didn't know I was the Spiketail as well. The voices spoke a strange rhyme to me. And also that my story may not have had a happy beginning, but that's not what makes me what I am. It's the rest of the story, what I chose to be."

He twirled the mace as if it was light as a feather, then tossed it up in the air. He caught it, then did a downstroke, and grinned at Grundlink.

"Who am I?" he said, "I am Elveng Spiketail!"
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 05:48:07 PM by Fernleaf »

Offline Tinarandel

• Global Moderator
  • Warrior Member
  • Grey Jedi
    • View Profile
    • Destiny Beckons
« Reply #90 on: August 11, 2017, 01:35:37 PM »
“Aye, Elveng! Ye are th’ Spiketail!” Grundlink saluted his hedgehog friend with his sword then sheathed it again. He then turned Cockleburr’s attention to the map again. “Golly, have ye forgotten your Eastern name? The Chieftains always said t’ cherish that identity as like our true names! We must never forget them, ye of all people should know that!" He directed the hedgehog's attention once again to the map.

“Lookee here, mate. Th’ Six Signs written there, as has been foretold. That said, a part o’ me believes that their respective events might not happen for a few more seasons. Anyway…”

Grundlink folded the map and put it into Cockleburr’s belt. He jerked a thumb to Rugthort, Kullek, and Kradilus, still cleaning each other up after their furious battle with the heroes.

“They’re refusin’ any help, but I think they’re doin’ fine now. Regardless, I say we should keep an eye on ‘em, lest they either try to fight again or accidentally reopen their wounds an’ hurts.”

He looked over at them and sighed, shaking his head somewhat despondently.

“Cockleburr, my heart tells me th’ guys have a much bigger part t’ play in th’ future. I can’t see exactly what, not like th’ Chieftains can. Mind ye, I don’t want t’ see th’ even if I had the power t’ do so. But really, I feel like there’s still somethin’ ahead for them, a path of pure evil an’ darkness. I doubt we can turn ‘em away from it; probably condemned already, devoid o’ regard or faithfulness t’ the path of benevolence and righteousness.”

They had calmed down again, Rugthort and Kullek sitting down tiredly in chairs and Kradilus silent and limp on the table. All three appeared to be in complete silent shock, neither of them showing any desire to speak. Grundlink beckoned to Cockleburr, and the two went back to their sides.

“Ye know, th’ evil creatures like ye who invaded the Eastern Islands many seasons ago…they were my ancestors. They slaughtered all in their path, killing creatures by the hundreds: males, females, teenagers, an’ children. Killing bloody children; let that sink in for a momen’!

Probably th’ most unforgivable crime happened at Maraul, the central Island, where my father’s side o’ th’ family did th’ killin’. On the shore, after rounding up th’ majority they planned to kill, among th’ numbers were a group of teenagers. Innocent teenagers who stopped at nothing to defend their friends an’ family. No begging for mercy or peace, only relentless defense an’ aggressive attack, for th’ sakes of their loved ones. And yet, my predecessors murdered them, one by one together. Would ye like t’ know th’ names of those dead adolescents? My father kept th’ records passed down from generation to generation, but if ye asked him about it, he’d refuse to even acknowledge ‘em. Here they are…”

Grundlink took a deep breath, closing his eyes and composing himself. His eyes remained closed as he mentally read off the list.

“Char, Chloe, David, Esairr, Lonnie, Makenna, Tay, Timarn, and Zanna. There ye go! I do believe that’s all self-explanatory.”

Rugthort and Kullek said nothing, only glaring at Grundlink and unchanged by his meaningless rant. They glared at Cockleburr, to see if he had anything to say. Kradilus opened his eyes and sat up painfully, rubbing his bruises, but also staying immovably silent. He sat with his head bowed in pain and embarrassment. Whether out of fear of Grundlink, Cockleburr, or Arries, neither of the vermin could tell.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 11:26:59 PM by Tinarandel »

Offline Fernleaf

• Brother/Sister
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 13, 2017, 05:01:17 PM »
Cockleburr listened to what  Grundlink said about the murders on Maraul. As the names came forth, he staggered. His eyes were seeing something he had held back for so long, his family being slaughtered before his eyes before he was rescued. He leaned against the wall, breathing heavily. He held his head as if it was coming off.

"Flames...blood...terror on all sides...the enemy...the enemy..." he murmured. His eyes began to get red, but he exercised a great deal of control not to go into Bloodwrath.

He looked up at Grundlink who was looking at him with concern. "I'm sorry, Grundlink, you reminded me of something that happened long before we met in Mossflower," He tried to compose himself.  "As you know, I was born on the islands, Bevidred. I lived with my father, mother and one brother. Then, the enemy, Zakrul, came. His face was burned into my memory. It was a mass slaughter, and my brother was killed before my eyes. I was only a cub at the time. My father told my mother to run away with me.

My mother carried me away, and they were chasing us. We made it to the shore where there was a boat waiting, but then she handed me over to the refugees and led the pursuers away. I never saw her again. I kept hearing The Prophecy, the Prophecy,

This song kept going through my head." He closed his eyes and sang softly in the tongue of the Islands:

Orthannen im vi ol
Coll e du
Or hiriath naur
Na rovail mae sui 'waew
Man prestant i ardhon?
Cerithar aen illiad dim uthenin?"

Then, he translated:

"In a dream I was lifted up.
Borne from the darkness
Above the rivers of fire.
On wings soft as the wind.
What's happened to the world?
Is everything sad going to come untrue?"

I was taken to Mossflower, then Redwall Abbey. It was a few years before we met in Mossflower, and became friends. I never thought I'd be friends with a rat, but somehow you were different. I remember when we left Mossflower, there was a newcomer building a hut. I didn't see his face, he was cloaked. He felt sad. But you know the rest after we met."
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 08:06:42 PM by Tinarandel »

Offline Tinarandel

• Global Moderator
  • Warrior Member
  • Grey Jedi
    • View Profile
    • Destiny Beckons
« Reply #92 on: October 11, 2017, 03:15:30 AM »
Grundlink listened with fullest attention to Cockleburr’s song in the Eastern language. He’d heard it before, remembering that Cockleburr sang it once after he had told the same tale of his family’s murders seasons ago. It had been at the hut of the herbalist hermit, Fernleaf. Grundlink hadn’t heard it in quite a while. Cockleburr hadn’t sung the heartfelt tune with that level of sincerity and unparalleled emotion since then.

The rat heard the translation of each Eastern word in his head as Cockleburr sang it. He turned to Rugthort, Kullek, and Kradilus, who appeared completely unaffected by it.

Kullek scowled menacingly at them. “Spare us yer damned dramatic emotional poetry. Don’ ye know who we are? We’re eternally loyal t’ Arries the Fierce, sworn t’ her service! Our blades, our minds, our blood an’ spirits are hers! If she won’ invade th’ Islands, then we shall!”

“Aye!” Rugthort jumped to his feet and tossed an empty tankard at the hedgehog and rat. Grundlink deftly caught it by the handle with his tail and threw it aside. “That’s our sworn oath! Arries or not, we’ll attack the Eastern Islands ourselves, do the work she refuses to, even if it means our deaths!”

Grundlink facepalmed himself, shaking his head in frustration. “Ye don’ know, do ye? Haven’t ye been listenin’ all day? Ye idiots need some help, seriously!” He turned back to Cockleburr and wrapped his arm around his friend’s shoulders. “I’m sorry, Cockleburr, I truly am. Thank ye for singin’ that song again, after so long of not hearin’ it from ye. I’m sure your family would’ve been proud. I’ll probably revisit that song in my head later, ‘cause those Eastern pronunciations can rattle your mind, ye know?”

“Oi!” Kullek brandished his blade towards the pair. “Did ye forget about us? We’re still standin’ here! Ye’ve probably haven’t heard anythin’ we’ve said, either! After Kradilus gets his strength back, we’re blowin’ this joint an’ never comin’ back!”

“Perfectly fine wit’ us, ye cowardly ditchers!” Grundlink snapped, his tail whipping the ground and tables beside him menacingly. Kullek growled deep in his throat, but said nothing.

Rugthort checked Kradilus’ wounds one final time; the ferret brushed the weasel away, indicating the return of his energy. The unfazed Rugthort helped Kradilus off the table and to his feet, where the ferret stood his tallest, no longer fearful but courageous, inspiring his fellow generals.

“We’re hoppin’ outta here, an’ nobeast can stop us! Don’ tell Arries, or we’ll come back an’ cut yer throats! Come on, boys, let’s leave these drunk dimwits alone! Run like th’ wind!”

And with that, devoid of another single utterance, the three spun at lightspeed on their heels, and almost crashed through the main door of the Inn, sprinting faster than the evening breeze, never to return again.

For the first time that night, Grundlink smiled a toothy grin, his rat fangs glinting in the moonlight. He turned to Cockleburr, a surprised happy look on his face.

“Guess that’s th’ last either o’ us have seen o’ them, eh, Elveng? What do we do now?”

Offline Fernleaf

• Brother/Sister
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 17, 2017, 07:45:19 PM »
"The last we will see if them if they go through with their plan," said Cockleburr, shaking his head. "What do we do? I guess we make our way to Redwall while we can. We need to find somebody, maybe that ferret we saw last time, whatever his name is."

Offline stargazette

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 18, 2017, 01:41:57 AM »
ooc: Sorry. this will be short, but I hope it helps.
BC: Arries the wildcat gazed out the window, half listening to the other vermin. If what the hedgehog and rat said was true, they stood no chance. If any on their island was as strong as them, they stood no chance. She found her mind wandering to her younger days. Too young to be trained, old enough to slightly remember and play, with the other Arries, her sister-in-arms, till her parents ran. They were so close back then. She knew, somehow, that she and the strangers would help. She needed to find a way to not attack, yet still come off as a strong leader. She dismissed the vermin, and walked down the stairs to where Cockleburr and Grundlink were. Arries the squirrel was just walking in. Arries the wildcat motioned for them to follow her to the back room.       
"I'm sorry for all the fighting." She explained. "I realize how brash and impulsive I was acting. But I need your help. I don't want to conquer the islands, but I need to act strong so my horde doesn't turn on us all. The only way I got them was in ditches and such. Barely a fight was needed for them to join. We are no match to conquer a roughly defended village run by teens, never mind islands of warriors. I need your help."
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 04:37:27 PM by Tinarandel »

Offline Tinarandel

• Global Moderator
  • Warrior Member
  • Grey Jedi
    • View Profile
    • Destiny Beckons
« Reply #95 on: November 09, 2017, 01:04:16 AM »
Grundlink listened closely to Arries' proposal, but in his rat mind he already found the idea preposterous, pointless, and overall nonsensical. Had Arries not listened to anything Grundlink had been saying over the entire day since arriving at the Inn earlier that afternoon? Or was Arries still secretly so absorbed in herself that she just no longer cared? Grundlink couldn't put his tail on any of it. Regardless, the least he could do was show this wildcat leader some measure of decent respect. Rugthort, Kullek, and Kradilus had fled; they wouldn't care either.

Grundlink looked sideways at Cockleburr, then sternly at Arries. "Madam, all due respect, ye've got no idea what ye're doin'. Listen to me, like your soldiers and squirrel friend did! Ye step foot on those Islands, you'll get a bruisin' such as ye've never felt before! A leader, really? The Islands have perfect leaders already, more competent, intelligent, and mightier! Did ye not hear them speak through my voice earlier? You’ve either gone completely insane or are jus’ not thinkin’ logically enough. But, not my problem. Ye get yourself into that mess, ye get yourself out! I’m havin’ no part in this!”

Grundlink clapped his tail to his forehead, exhausted. “Damn! How many times must I say it? Ye need our help? It’d be enough trouble tryin’ t’ dominate one island, let alone five! Rangers, Freedom, Destiny, Mystery, an’ Thought…put ‘em together an’ what do ye get?”

He rubbed a paw across his face in exasperation, sighing in obvious deep stress. His patience had run out, and his eyes were drooping. He needed sleep, and he needed it now. 

“Well, I don’ really need t’ answer that question, now do I?”

The rat’s eyes opened, but his eyelids had grown extremely heavy. Grundlink slumped forward onto a table, using his arms and paws to break his fall.

“Please…” he muttered tiredly. “Can’t we all just forget all this nonsense…an’ go t' sleep? Please? I’ve had enough problems t’ last a lifetime. An’, madam, did ye not even notice that your three vermin, Rugthort, Kullek and Kradilus, deserted ye?”

He forced himself to stand back up and staggered off towards his bedroom. “I’m goin’ t’ bed whether ye like it or not. Touch my map an’ ye’ll get th’ Eastern Chieftains talkin’ in your head! G’night, everybeast!”

Slam! 

« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 04:37:32 PM by Tinarandel »

Offline Fernleaf

• Brother/Sister
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 20, 2017, 12:37:09 AM »
Cockleburr really had nothing to say. He and Grundlink had talked and talked until they were blue in the face, but it was like talking to a brick wall. He saw his friend swaying and caught him, supporting him. He knew better than to talk with Grundlink when he was so upset. And he was tired as well.

He went to his own room, closed the door and lay down. He needed sleep. It had been a frustrating day.

Offline stargazette

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 20, 2017, 12:45:10 AM »
Arries snarled. She slammed her paw on the table. She knew that she had no right to ask for help. And she knew the other vermin had left. Frankly, she didn't care. She sighed, feeling almost as tired as the rat.
"Did that fool not hear me? I don't want to go! But I guess I am the fool. The stupid, arrogant, worthless, cat. I can't even command a horde!" She groaned. Her squirrel counterpart patted her shoulder. They may not see eye to eye, but they cared for each other.
"Unlike those lucky beasts, we don't have others watching over us. So we must come up with our own solution." She grinned weakly, and left. She grabbed some biscuits and dried fish to put in the warriors' rooms, for if they wake hungry. She then shooed all the other vermin out to their camp. When she got back, the wildcat was snoring softly. She smiled, draping a warm blanket over her. Hopefully after sleeping, their refreshed minds would come up with something.

Arries the wildcat tossed and turned, her mind replaying horrid events in her past. Death, screaming, blood. She killed them. She hated it. But, she didn't kill enough....
The black fox grinned, stalking towards her helpless family. He didn't see her. He laughed as he slaughtered them! One by one, grinning and laughing. Blood on him, on the bodies, on the floor, on the foreign sword. She couldn't move, couldn't speak. She had to help, to run.
She ran, faster, faster, further away, the haunting laugh tormenting her.
She got away. They were dead. She didn't kill him.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 03:26:14 PM by Tinarandel »

Offline Tinarandel

• Global Moderator
  • Warrior Member
  • Grey Jedi
    • View Profile
    • Destiny Beckons
« Reply #98 on: December 11, 2017, 01:08:20 AM »
The sun hit Grundlink square in the face as he awoke the next morning.  His tail shielded his eyes as he stirred in the bed. Looking to his right at the bedside table showed him the breakfast that the squirrelmaid Arries left for him. The rat pulled himself restlessly out of bed and began to get dressed.

Grundlink took the plate of food out with him to the main dining area of the Inn. His eyes scanned the room: all of Arries’ generals were awake. He also found Cockleburr absent, probably still asleep. The rat claimed a seat at the nearest table and dug into his food.

Two pitch-black green-eyed male foxes approached him, and he swallowed his bite of bread and looked up at them curiously. The taller of the two raised his paw in both greeting and halting: Grundlink need not speak and could continue eating. 

“My name is Azroel, and that’s my brother Azem.” He gestured to a shorter fox sitting down in a chair eating a buttered potato. The one named Azroel took a quick sip from the tankard of cognac he held and continued. “We’re the creatures who helped your hedgehog friend into his bed after he passed out from his rage episode last night.”

Grundlink’s tail wiped his mouth with a napkin. Clearing his throat, he put forth an apology. “I’m terribly sorry ye had t’ do it. I truly did not mean t’ impose it upon ye two.”

To his surprise, both foxes smiled. “No problem in the least,” assured the perky Azem. “We took pity on him, and out of the goodness of our hearts, left him to his rest and hoped to take further care of him today if he needed it.”

“See?” Azroel observed to Grundlink. “Arries’ generals aren’t all evil. Azem and I are natural good vermin, just like you, Grundlink. We saw everything last night, heard the Chieftains of the Eastern Islands – still unfamiliar and unknown to us – speaking through you as their communication vessel. Though we’re pretty competent fighters ourselves, we dared not participate in the fight after seeing everything you did against Kradilus. It doesn’t matter anymore.”

Azem licked his fingers clean of butter and rubbed his paws together in excitement. “Our point is, we’d like to help, to travel alongside you and Cockleburr to that place Redwall Abbey.  The main fear is, of course, being the species we are, the creatures of Redwall might either turn as away, hold us prisoner, or kill us outright.”

“None of those things shall happen, I assure th’ both o’ ye.” Grundlink popped a slice of his fish into his mouth. “When Cockleburr is awake, th’ four o’ us can discuss this matter. I don’t know what his thoughts might be, but I hope he’ll be acceptin’ o’ ye. Does this mean you’re abandonin’ Arries, too, like Rugthort, Kullek, an’ Kradilus did?”

The fox brothers stared at each other concernedly, deeply pondering Grundlink’s question. Finally, Azem looked at Grundlink, resigned.

“It’s our choice, discussed last night and set in stone. We want to go to Redwall. Let Arries think as she may. It’s either running out of this Inn or staying stuck in it. And Azroel and I prefer the former.”

“I say ye tell Arries about it first,” Grundlink advised. “I don’t know if she’ll understan’, but at least your honesty will merit great benefit. Th’ sooner Cockleburr awakens, th’ better. He’s not th’ type t’ skip out on breakfast, that’s for sure!”

All three shared a laugh and returned to their meals.

Offline stargazette

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 13, 2017, 01:01:54 AM »
Arries the wildcat, after the restless night of sleep, decided to tell her horde that she would not do anything as stupid again. Meaning she would give up on the whole evil thing.
Arries the squirrelmaid was wiping the counter and serving everyone, on the house, when the other Arries came in. She had bags under her eyes, but they shone with determination.
"Everyone, listen up!" She commanded, the room immediately grew silent. "As I am sure, you all must be restless, cooped up here. And you shall leave. Bu it is entirely up to you where you go. I will no more pillage, steal, and slaughter. I do not know where I will go, but you may leave me if you wish. If you stay, there is no telling what will happen. I bid you, farewell." With that, she walked out of the dining area, and upstairs to her room. Arries the squirrel sighed, and went to serve the foxes at Grundlink's table. The room was louder than before, everyone questioning the sudden announcement, and what would they do.  Almost at once, there was a shout, and yelling, and 2/3 of the horde left. The rest presumably only there to finish their meals.
"Do you need anything?" She asked the group at the table, "More breakfast, or supplies for the journey to Redwall? I'm sorry for the commotion. Arries isn't the best for speechs. Or anything social, as you could probably tell. " She looked around suddenly. "Oh! Cockleburr is not here! "
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 03:06:29 PM by Tinarandel »